From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge xmlto > ERROR: app-text/xmlto-0.0.18 failed.
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:19:39
1 Dale schreef:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have ran into this error a lot of times. I posted it the other day
5 > but have learned that a lot of people don't read HTML stuff. So
6 > here I go again.
7 >
8 > This is the whole thing, sorry it is a bit long but I didn't want to
9 > cut out the very part you need. Yes, my rig is named smoker. :/
12 >> root@smoker / # emerge -v xmlto Calculating dependencies ...done!
13 >>
14 >>>>> emerge (1 of 1) app-text/xmlto-0.0.18 to /
15 <snip>
16 >> warning: failed to load external entity
17 >> "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl"
18 >> compilation error: file
19 >> /var/tmp/portage/xmlto-0.0.18/temp/xmlto-xsl.ShHrwX line 4 element
20 >> import xsl:import : unable to load
21 >> http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
22 >> warning: failed to load external entity
23 >> "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl"
24 >> compilation error: file
25 >> /var/tmp/portage/xmlto-0.0.18/temp/xmlto-xsl.Rpd0Wc line 4 element
26 >> import xsl:import : unable to load
27 >> http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
34 >> Q: I'm trying to build xmlto on my Debian box, but it doesn't work.
41 >> A: If you get `Attempt to load network entity' errors when building
42 >> xmlto, your system does not have the required support for XML
43 >> Catalogs
44 <snip>
48 > It wants to emerge it sometimes during a emerge -uv world. I try to
49 > keep it up to date.
52 OK, if it's emerging only during a -uv world, it's 1) not in your world
53 file; and 2) a direct dependency of something that is.
54
55 Since there are two solutions to this problem (actually 3), and this
56 information impacts one of them, we'll look at that impact first, but
57 the three solutions are:
58
59 1) if it's an actual bug (check b.g.o.) then you have to wait for it to
60 be fixed (unless you happen to be able to fix it in the source code
61 yourself).
62 2) If it's a bug you cannot fix, or if it's not a bug at all (meaning
63 it's either an unmoveable obstacle, or you have a system problem), you
64 have one choice either way;
65
66 2a) eliminate the need for the program (until the bug is fixed, but you
67 can also choose this if you're lazy and don't really feel like messing
68 around with the problem, no crime in that)
69
70 2b) fix the underlying system problem so the program emerges.
71
72 So far we know that xmlto is being emerged as a direct dependency of
73 something-- but what?
74
75 (from www.gentoo-portage.com )
76
77 Programs That Depend On xmlto
78
79 app-text/robodoc
80 dev-util/mercurial
81 sci-geosciences/gpsd
82 sys-auth/libnss-pgsql
83 doc media-gfx/k3d
84
85 Which, if any of these programs do you have installed on your system?
86
87 > I did also try USE="-doc" emerge xmlto and it still fails.
88
89 This is not a solution-- xmlto does not have any USE flags; all its
90 dependencies are required, not optional.
91
92 However, if k3d is the program you have installed in your world file
93 that depends on xmlto, then compiling *that* -doc will remove the
94 dependency on xmlto and the problem is solved (because xmlto will not
95 attempt to compile or upgrade as a result of an emerge -uv world. You
96 might then consider removing it via emerge depclean-- but be careful
97 with depclean-- or manually with emerge -Cav xmlto).
98
99 If k3d is not the program you have installed which depends on xmlto, but
100 one of the others listed above and you want/need to keep that program,
101 you have to try and fix xmlto (assuming that this is not an unresolved
102 bug; again, check b.g.o if you haven't-- ALL xmlto should do for the
103 search terms).
104
105 Since the problem seems to revolve around docbook, and one of the
106 dependencies of xmlto is
107
108 (again from www.gentoo-portage.com , piped to prevent Thunderbird
109 thinking its a quote)
112 Runtime Dependencies
113 xmlto-0.0.18
114
115 | app-shells/bash
116 | app-text/docbook-xml-dtd4.2
117 | >= app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets - 1.62.0-r1
118 | dev-libs/libxslt
119 | sys-apps/utillinux
120
121 xmlto-0.0.17
122
123 | app-shells/bash
124 | app-text/docbook-xml-dtd4.2
125 | >= app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets - 1.62.0-r1
126 | dev-libs/libxslt
127 | sys-apps/utillinux
128
129 I would suggest recompiling the two docbook dependencies, most notably
130 docbook-xml-dtd, and seeing if that helps in any way. If you really need
131 xmlto. But I admit that if I had this problem, I'd be more likely to get
132 rid of xlmto, and any programs that depended on it (or find an
133 alternative to the programs which did not require xmlto) to solve the
134 problem. You've gotta pick your battles, and I myself do not need to
135 fight to get xmlto working.
136
137 You may have different priorities, though.
138
139 HTH,
140 Holly
141 --