From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmplayer over ssh - very very very slow mouse
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:32:36
1 On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 6/12/2010, at 4:57pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> So if I understand, this would require that I start vmplayer at the
6 >> remote but don't display it locally?
7 >
8 > The question is maybe moot because you're running XP. But Windows (for example the server versions) can allow multiple Remote Desktop sessions on the same box, without any of them displaying on the screen.
9
10 Currently all VM's are XP Home based. I do have Win 7 Home
11 Professional also locally but not on the remote PC.
12
13 <SNIP>
14
15 > I'm not 100% clear how you're doing things at the moment. Are you using an X11 connection to view the screen at the moment? If so I would certainly try a VNC connection. I have this notion that VM screen viewers may use VNC themselves. The free version of RealVNC server can run at start up, and allows you to remotely click on the duck to login.
16
17 I'm using ssh to forward X to my local machine. There is no 'screen'
18 (in terms of a monitor anyway) at the remote. There's just an X app
19 (vmplayer hosting XP) running on the remote screen and being displayed
20 locally.
23 > Remote viewing on a home DSL connection can be very frustrating.
24
25 Yes, I agree. I have direct experience on the speed, etc., of doing
26 that as I do things like set up cups on the remote machine using
27 Firefox, etc., so I know the speed of this link.
28
29 The thing that has been _very_ different about running vmplayer is not
30 the graphics speed, where you'd expect the most data to be sent, but
31 actually just the mouse operation being so slow.
32
33 Thanks for your inputs.
34
35 Cheers,