From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: NTFS free space disappeared
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:24:36
1 ert256 wrote:
2 > Hello
3 > I have some weird problem width NTFS partition in linux environment.
4 > I have Knoppix LiveCD on some machine, which i want to clean out.
5 > There was some virus and windows is unusable, so I'm copying data over
6 > network to other machine, but what is the point
7 > /media/sda5 is ntfs mounted in rea-only mode
8 > root@Knoppix:/media# df -h
9 > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
10 > /dev/sda5 31G 29G 2.3G 93% /media/sda5
11 > root@Knoppix:~# du -h --summarize /media/sda5/
12 > 19G /media/sda5/
13 > I cannot fire up windows, because it is dangerous, and that windows on
14 > this machine is broken.
15 > Question is : Where is missing 10G on NTFS partition ? Can I safely
16 > clean disk without risk of data loss?
17 > Thank you
18
19 Run a 'chkdsk /F /V' on the disk. Repeatedly until you get no more
20 errors. Pull the data you want to keep to another HD and then do the
21 only thing that is able to reliably fix a Windows installation: Fresh
22 install with a reformat of the partition.