From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 12:05:19
1 On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 8:32 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 17/06/20 05:47, Dale wrote:
4 > > From what I've read, all the drive makers were selling SMR without
5 > > telling anyone at first. It wasn't just WD but Seagate as well.
6 >
7 > Yes, but Seagate didn't start selling SMR drives advertised as
8 > "optimised for raid/nas".THAT is what's so bad about the WD case - those
9 > drives are almost guaranteed to fail the moment anything ELSE goes wrong
10 > elsewhere.
13 WD also put it in their Black line. Those are drives marketed to
14 enthusiasts willing to pay a premium for some kind of cutting-edge
15 performance. And they stuck SMR in it.
16
17 This is like paying for a high-end NVMe and finding out that it just
18 has a class 4 SDcard inside with a PCIe-USB2-SD interface.
19
20 All the drive manufacturers are scummy at this point though. You have
21 no choice but to buy from them, but I trust new drives as far as I can
22 throw them, and every new drive is getting benchmarked from here on
23 out...
26 Rich