From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server update causes horizontal line in movies
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:03:25
1 > After I updated to the latest xorg-server this weekend, I started
2 > noticing that movie playback has a horizontal line across the middle
3 > of the screen that kind of looks like the image is broken. It always
4 > shows up when there is a lot of on-screen movement. A flash makes it
5 > very visible. It looks like one half of the screen is moving a litle
6 > slower than the other half of the screen.
7 >
8 > It happens in totem, mplayer, and vlc and mplayer terminal output
9 > confirms that I am using xv. I'm using nvidia-drivers and I've tried
10 > the masked version with no luck. Has anyone else seen this?
11
12 That's due to the lack of vertical synchronisation.
13
14 The graphicscard sends the picture to your monitor. While that happends,
15 in the middle of the movie-picture, the movieplayer switches to the next
16 frame of the movie. The result: you see the upper half of frame N and
17 the lower half of frame N+1
20 Greetings,
21 Sven