From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to make Opera or Firefox believe my location is the UK?
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:51:13
1 Renat Golubchyk wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:40:53 +0200 "Liviu Andronic"
5 > <landronimirc@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >> Is there a way to make Opera or Firefox believe that I am located in
8 >> the UK? I am using (on a regular basis) the following environment
9 >> variables.
10 >> LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8
11 >> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
12 >> Nonetheless, it seems to make no difference to either browser. Maybe
13 >> someone knows exactly how does BBC, or Google and other sites
14 >> proposing their web pages in your local language, determine your
15 >> location?
18 > It's determined based on your IP address. You can try it yourself at
19 > http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_my_ip and
20 > http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_ip .
21 > This service locates not only the country, but also the city.
22 >
23 > If you want to have an IP address in UK you will have to use a proxy in
24 > UK. You can find a list of proxies at
25 > http://tools.rosinstrument.com/proxy/
26 >
27 > You could also find another TV channel with live video and audio
28 > stream. There is a list of TV stations at http://wwitv.com/
31 > Cheers,
32 > Renat
37 I went to that link above and it was not even close to me. I think it
38 may be about right for one of my ISP's addresses or something though.
39 Also, my old ISP didn't work right either. It said another state even.
40
41 How is that supposed to work anyway?
42
43 Dale