From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU setup questions
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 09:17:58
1 On 25/07/2013 09:54, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 05:16:21AM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote
3 >>
4 >>> 2) What "vncviewer" or "vncconnect" parameters do I use to get to the
5 >>> qemu session?
6 >>
7 >> Assuming both server and client are run locally, connecting to either
8 >> "localhost:0" or "localhost:5900" should work.
9 >
10 > Thanks. That helped me to get it working.
11 >
12 > I stumbled over the solution to my final problem by accident. When
13 > booting off the install cd, you have 15 seconds to "hit any key", or
14 > else it'll try to boot off the "hard drive". Given that I haven't
15 > installed yet, it'll try to boot off the blank pseudo "hard drive", and
16 > fail. Pressing any key will stop the timer. I prefer to type in...
17
18 Just as on a real PC you can issue Ctrl+Alt+Del to have it reboot again
19 (without respawning qemu). Look for the three-finger-salute icon on the
20 toolbar.
21
22 >
23 > gentoo net.ifnames=0
24 >
25 > ...to give myself "a predictable interface name", namely eth0. The
26 > timer stops after I hit the "g", and I can take my time typing the rest
27 > of the command. If you don't mind whatever ifname udev generates, you
28 > can simply hit enter. The drill *FOR INSTALL ONLY* under vnc is like
29 > so...
30 >
31 > * open up 2 terminals side-by-each
32 > * in one type the command like the following *BUT DO NOT HIT <ENTER>*
33 > vncviewer localhost:2
34 >
35 > * in the other terminal, type a command like so, and hit <ENTER>
36 > qemu-system-i386 -vnc :2 -cpu qemu32 -m 3072 -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
37 >
38 > * *IMMEDIATELY* go over to the other terminal and hit <ENTER> to
39 > activate vncviewer
40 >
41 > * *AS SOON AS VNCVIEWER POPS UP* either hit <ENTER> for default install
42 > parameters, or start typing your own install command.
43 >
44 > * *DO NOT PANIC* when the vncviewer screen goes dark for several seconds
45 > as the install checks out its environment.
46 >
47 > * One more minor annoyance and workaround... the initial vncviewer
48 > screen is a 720x400 xterm. The install thinks it's in a 1024x768
49 > framebuffer, so you get the bottom and right edges of the output
50 > clipped. As soon the penguin logo appears, you can close the xterm
51 > containing the vncviewer output, and open another vncviewer with the
52 > same command as the original. This new copy senses the correct
53 > "screensize" and you can go on with your install.
54
55 That's odd. The VNC client should dynamically change the size of its
56 window as appropriate.
57
58 >
59 >
60 > I still haven't figured out why only root can run qemu-kvm. I
61 > "solved" that problem with an entry in /etc/sudoers.d and it is
62 > definitely faster.
63 >
64 > If I specify a video card type for the guest, then the driver has to
65 > be emerged on the guest; is that correct?
66 >
67
68 That's correct if you want optimal performance in X.org. The best option
69 is -vga vmware in conjunction with x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware.
70
71 --Kerin