From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] 403 error on apache2
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 19:22:13
1 The new apache configuration style has got me all mixed up. I am running
2 apache-2.2.8 and I am also trying to install drupal-5.6 (with vhosts).
3 Pointing the browser to localhost works fine, I get the page that says "IT
4 WORKS!", but not the Apache logo and picture of a feather as it used to be
5 the case. Does this mean that my new apache installation is not properly
6 configured?
7
8 Pointing to mywebdomain.co.uk/drupal fails with error 403:
9 ===================================
10 Forbidden
11 You don't have permission to access /drupal/install.php on this server.
12 Apache Server at mywebdomain.co.uk Port 80
13 ===================================
14
15 The only way I have found to get the pages accessible from a browser is to add
16 this to /etc/apache2/modules.d/00_default_settings.conf file:
17 ================================================
18 <Directory "/var/www/mywebdomain.co.uk/htdocs">
19 Options FollowSymLinks
20 AllowOverride All
21 Order deny,allow
22 Allow from all
23 </Directory>
24 ================================================
25
26 However, I am not sure that this the correct way to allow access to a vhost.
27 Where should I define that this vhost (mywebdomain.co.uk) should be
28 accessible from the Internet?
29
30 This is my /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/00_default_vhost.conf file, just in case I am
31 missing something essential:
32 ================================================
33 <IfDefine DEFAULT_VHOST>
34
35 #Listen 12.34.56.78:80
36 Listen 80
37
38 # Use name-based virtual hosting.
39 NameVirtualHost *:80
40
41 <VirtualHost *:80>
42 ServerName localhost
43 Include /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/default_vhost.include
44
45 <IfModule mpm_peruser_module>
46 ServerEnvironment apache apache
47 </IfModule>
48 </VirtualHost>
49
50 <VirtualHost *:80>
51 ServerName mywebdomain.co.uk
52 ServerAlias mywebdomain.co.uk *.mywebdomain.co.uk
53 DocumentRoot /var/www/mywebdomain.co.uk/htdocs
54 </VirtualHost>
55
56 </IfDefine>
58
59 Can you please advise if I need to change anything in the default Gentoo
60 apache configuration to set it up to work with vhosts and drupal?
61 --
62 Regards,
63 Mick