From: Mike Mazur <mmazur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choppy video playback
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:29:51
1 Hi Walter, Paul,
2
3 On Jan 28, 2008 11:08 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 [ -- SNIP -- ]
5 > This is to be expected. Since you have "-xv" in USE, xv support is
6 > blocked. Did you have any problems with xv that caused you to block it?
7 > If not, change "-xv" to "xv" in USE in /etc/make.conf. And while you're
8 > at it, add...
9
10 *slaps forehead* of course that's why. I can't remember why I disabled
11 it, I don't remember any problems with it.
12
13 > mmx sse sse2
14 >
15 > to your USE parameters. In /etc/portage/package.use, add the line...
16 >
17 > media-video/mplayer ssse3
18 >
19 > > I guess I'll need to recompile everything if I want any changes to
20 > > come into effect?
21 >
22 > Hopefully, not everything. *AFTER MAKING ALL THE ABOVE CHANGES* try...
23 >
24 > emerge --ask --deep --newuse --update --world
27 Thanks for the pointers. Only 19 packages are being recompiled, so it
28 should be done soon and I can test out the new settings.
29
30 But the list of packages being recompiled have mostly to do with
31 video, audio and transcoding. I understand it's the --newuse flag
32 that's causing those, not the additional parameters in CFLAGS. Will
33 the CFLAGS have benefits on other packages? Such as Firefox or maybe
34 netscape-flash? For those I might want to do an emerge --emptytree
35 world...
36