From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommend a program for line art and text
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:18:06
1 On 1/30/07, Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
6 > On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:26:37 -0800 "Kevin O'Gorman"
7 > <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >
9 > > I've tried creating diagrams in xfig. It works fine for my LaTeX
10 > > documents, but does not export well to PNG for use in web pages.
13 > Hm, what do you mean by saying "not so well"? If it's just that it
14 > isn't antialiased as good as you'd like it to be, then just export it
15 > at higher resolution and scale it down with some pix-image tool
16 > afterwards.
17 >
18 > Aside from that, it really depends on what diagrams you're creating.
19 > Personally, I turned away from xfig a bit, but that's mostly due to its
20 > interface. I like dia for flow-charts and similar stuff and inkscape
21 > for more graphic intensive stuff.
22 >
23 > -hwh
26 Fooling with bitmap resolutions gives me a headache, and I havent' figured
27 out
28 how to make it look good on screen and also good when printed. My students
29 print my pages a lot.
30
31 Thanks for Inkscape, tho -- it is perfect for me. I like the interface, and
32 since it saves
33 in SVG format, I get web pages without the intermediate bitmap bother. The
34 results are much better
35
36 ++ kevin
39 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD