From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 18:30:33
1 On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > The only possible thing etc-update could ever do is look for trivial
4 > changes and ignore them. How would you detect the difference between
5 > non-trivial changes to shipped versions and non-trivial changes made
6 > locally?
7
8 Keep a copy of the config files for installed packages somewhere in /var,
9 and provide etc-update with "this is the version we shipped that's going
10 away" on package removal. Currently, it only keeps the hash of the config
11 file that goes with a package, so it can only tell whether there was a
12 change in the shipped version, not what that change was. Portage actually
13 has enough information to detect that the user has modified a
14 CONFIG_PROTECTed file (moveme and destmd5 != cfgfiledict.get[myrealdest]),
15 but doesn't test this or communicate it to etc-update.
16
17 > You can't say that if the config file exists and hasn't
18 > changed since installation then overwrite it with the new shipped
19 > version - that might change the behaviour of an *existing* system
20 > (without notification) if the user likes the old way and does not like
21 > the new way.
22
23 I didn't say it shouldn't require interaction to get the new shipped
24 version; I said it should require extra confirmation to discard changes
25 made locally. It should also be able to offer 3-way merge instead of
26 2-way, and automatically retain local changes that don't conflict with
27 shipped changes.
28
29 > > It's understood that there is a difference between what I'm using now
30 > > and what new package comes with. But there's no information on
31 > > whether that difference came from local modifications.
32 >
33 > And neither should there be. Etc-update knows the files are *different*
34 > and stops right there. Evaluating what that difference means is a
35 > human's job because it's not a monkey-see, monkey-do process.
36
37 What the difference means is up to the humans, but there's no reason,
38 aside from having carelessly lost information previously, that it doesn't
39 know where the change came from; that part isn't up to human
40 interpretation, and it's valuable information for humans trying to
41 evaluate what the difference means.
42
43 -Daniel
44 *This .sig left intentionally blank*