From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Setting basic ALSA defaults
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 19:01:15
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I've got a a little nettop which I'm trying to set up for XBMC. As I don't normally use Linux on the desktop, but primarily for headless servers, this has been a little bit of a journey for me, but I now have X11 and the nVidia drivers working, and basic audio playback.
4
5 So this particular system (eMachines 1401) defaults to the headphone output, and I've learned that to get it to output over HDMI I have to run:
6 aplay -vvD plug:hdmi file.wav
7
8 I also, then, have to enter alsamixer and unmute the "S/PDIF 1" output (that seems to be muted by default on this system) and audio starts coming through on the TV.
9
10 So I want to set, of course, HDMI as the default output, so I created an /etc/asound.conf and put the following in it:
11
12 pcm.!default {
13 type hw
14 card 0
15 device 3
16 }
17
18 ctl.!default {
19 type hw
20 card 0
21 device 3
22 }
25 This is great! Now when I run aplay I can omit the "-D $devicename" flag and everything's good.
26
27 Now I have to admit, I figured out the above more or less by trial and error (that, for instance, I can't describe the output as "card 0,3", but I have to have the separate device line), and the "pcm" and "ctl" parts, and the structure I just copied of the documentation at the ALSA website. I don't find that documentation very clear.
28
29 So this is problematic the next time I reboot, because all of a sudden, now alsamixer doesn't work. In fact, I can demonstrate that the problem is related directly to this file:
30
31 # alsamixer
32 cannot open mixer: Invalid argument
33 # rm /etc/asound.conf
34 # alsamixer
35 # echo $?
36 0
37 #
38
39 So could anyone possibly explain this for me, please?
40
41 I'm liable to have another question or two in a moment, but I'd initially just really love to understand why the alsa documentation says to have separate pcm.!default and ctl.!default definitions (instead of a single "everything.!default) and why alsamixer has now broke.
42
43 Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
44
45 Stroller.