From: Jimmy Rosen <listjiro@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What is recommended behavior for complete updating of an old system ?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:55:53
1 Hi folks
2
3 I recently went through the (minor hell) of updating my old workhorse
4 gentoo box. I hadn't touched the system much (apart from open
5 services like ssh) for about 1.5 years due to a series of facts:
6 1) It just worked so darned nice.
7 2) My phd endstretch didn't leave much time to computer fiddling, and
8 the cluster just worked so darned nice (diskless SSI booting from the
9 original gentoo machine (see above)).
10 3) It lived behind a nice firewall which I trust enough (yes I'm a bit
11 naive) and the open services such as ssh had been updated more
12 regularly.
13
14 Now I had a bit of time and sice I had moved to France for my post doc
15 I had to get skype in/out working, which didn't want to install
16 nicely. So I thought a thorough general system update was overdue.
17
18 First, my questions, then (if you really want) the arduous story on
19 how I did it. Feel free to comment, give tips and point out my
20 mistakes.
21
22 Primary:
23 What is a recommended way to update an old system to minimize the
24 amount of broken ebuilds?
25 Is emerge --emptytree world a good idea? Is it better than a clean
26 install? Or is the documentation's way good enough even for a very old
27 system:
28 emerge --update --deep --newuse world
29 emerge --depclean
30 revdep-rebuild
31 I have an unexplainable fobia against --depclean though. And updating
32 everything at once seems a bit reckless, I mean with the age of the
33 system it would update almost everything. The package list was a mile
34 long, and you never know what will break.
35
36 Secondary:
37 How often should one update the system to minimize hassles with broken
38 packages?
39 Too often, and the hassle of constant upgrading can get tedious even
40 if it works ok, and too late, and some odd dysfunctional version
41 combinations start showing up that the packages were not really
42 tested for, leading to broken ebuilds.
46 I did like this:
47 I didn't want to run a clean install or an --emptytree thingie. I
48 wanted to take it a few steps at a time, so that if something broke I
49 might have an idea about what new packages it was that broke it.
50
51 1) take a backup of the system. I have some modifications
52 in /etc/init.d scripts and some extra non-gentoo stuff for clustering
53 installed that I didn't want to risk, and I was pretty sure something
54 would bork and leave me clueless. lol
55
56 2) emerge sync. Nice, worked.
57 emerge *only the most important stuff* (oh, I'm really chicken btw):
58 portage, baselayout, etc.
59 That brought in some dependencies, but it worked out all right after a
60 while and a lot of figuring out the /etc/init.d and config file
61 changes that has happened for the last 1.5 years. And some other
62 changes as to where certain configs go, and how, and so on. But most
63 was easily searchable in docs or forums.gentoo or on this list.
64 Reboot here to see if it even booted any more... YEEAAAH!
65
66 3) emerge basic user packages like gcc, glibc, xorg (yes I was still
67 on xfree) kernel, etc.
68 note: I have to stay on 2.4 because I use openmosix for the
69 clustering, and I don't yet trust 2.6om.
70 For this I started using --update --deep since I did want an updated
71 system, but not all at once.
72 This still worked out all right, with just some minor headaches of
73 broken ebuilds. And some config files again.
74 hrmmpf kernel change means reboot. darned.
75
76 4) emerge --update --deep desktop stuff like KDE, openoffice,
77 browsers, etc...
78 This started generating Looooooooots of broken packages. I have spent
79 many hours looking through the _VERY_NICE_ bugs.gentoo.org. I still
80 get bitten by bugs that are filed fixed in mid 2003. lol
81 Some more config file updates, and restarting all significant services
82 to use the new software.
83
84 5) Now, muahaha, emerge --update --deep world. Aiaiai. Another batch
85 of broken packages, but not the critical ones, since most everything
86 necessary has already been updated.
87 Some more config files. I _really_ like dispatch-config and cfg-update
88 by now.
89
90 6) Well, I'm here now. The system works just fine. And yes, I recently
91 remembered that I had forgotten to update the USE flags to cover the
92 current situation (stooopid teflon memory). But I hope I can wait
93 until the current few remaining problems are out of the way, and then
94 I can perhaps (hope and pray) use the eminent and functional(?)
95 --newuse (and I do so very much hope works with/as --deep).
96
97 I still have some problems, mainly with skype, which works but have
98 some odd dependency thingie with dbus that emerge doesn't like. And
99 revdep-rebuild tries to bring in some stuff that are no longer in
100 portage. Interesting, though, is that
101 equery depends '=pack-group/packagename-x.y.z'
102 doesn't report anything depending on those old packages any more after
103 all the updates. How can I figure out what wants them?
104
105 revdep-rebuild? is it safe to use, and safe with --package-names
106 (since just about every single package it's trying to bring in is no
107 longer in the portage tree)
108
109 What somethingsomething-update programs should I run during the
110 process?
111 python-updater
112 perl-clenaner
113 java-config
114 opengl-update
115 modules-update
116 --- what am I missing -- ?
117
118 Is udev supported on 2.4.26+? would it be useful instead of devfs? and
119 is there a *really* good guide for switching (that might warn me of
120 the common problems I'm bound to run into)?
124 In retrospect it might have been faster to simply do a reinstall or
125 --emptytree. Sorry for issuing such a blasphemous statement on this
126 list.
129 Thankful for input on the matter.
130
131 Jimmy