From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using package.provided
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 09:51:01
1 On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 22:55:30 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > I'd like to stay on kernel-4.1.6, rather than keep installing the
4 > newest version at each upgrade.
5 >
6 > As I recall, and a quick look at `man portage', a file named
7 > `package.provided' is meant for such things.
8
9 No it's not. package.provided is for when you install a package from
10 outside of portage and want to let portage know it is installed.
11
12 > The syntax is not described in detail... I tried these:
13 >
14 > /etc/portage/package.provided
15
16 The file is /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
17 >
18 > >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
19
20 and it only allows specific atoms, =cat/pkg
21
22 > Still `emerge -vp gentoo-sources' indicates it will install the most
23 > recent kernel.
24
25 You want to use /etc/portage/package.mask, with this entry
26
27 >sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
28
29 One of the disadvantages of this is that when that particular version is
30 removed from the tree, portage will try to downgrade, because you has
31 blocked an upgrade. To avoid this, copy the ebuild to a local overlay so
32 it is always available.
33
34 You'll also miss out on any security updates etc, but I guess you have
35 already considered that.
39 Neil Bothwick
40
41 If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that ACME crap, why didn't
42 he just buy dinner?