From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:42:41
1 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday 28 July 2011 18:37:24 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Pardon me. My brain passed gas here. lol Could it be that my drives
5 >> file system has ran out of inodes or whatever they are called? That may
6 >> explain why I can't copy anything to it but it works fine as far as
7 >> reading goes.
8 >>
9 >> Thoughts? How do I check/change it? Headed to some man pages too.
10 >>
11 >> Dale
12 >>
13 >> :-) :-)
14 >>
15 > To check this, you could try creating a new file (with size = 0) on the root of
16 > that drive, like (After you close and save all your work):
17 >
18 > touch<mountpoint of drive>/LetMeseeIfThisWorksOrIfTheKernelPanicsAgain
19 >
20 > If it doesn't panic, check if that file actually exists.
21 >
22 > --
23 > Joost
24 >
25 >
26 >
27
28 It worked fine and it was there with 0 bytes. Weird.
29
30 I sort of gave up on this drive. I had a very kind soul to send me a
31 video card when I did this build. He also sent me a 250Gb drive. I
32 copied all I could to that but did lose a LOT of my videos and such.
33 Anyway, I'm doing this right now:
34
35 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc
36
37 I figure that will put it back like brand new and very blank. I'll
38 recreate my partition, throw a file system on it and see if it will let
39 me copy back to it or not.
40
41 While I am at it, what is the best file system for videos? That is the
42 biggest thing I use that drive for. I had a LOT of NCIS, CSI and other
43 shows that are now gone. Anyway, what are opinions on a file system for
44 videos on a 750Gb drive? I had reiserfs on it before.
45
46 Thanks.
47
48 Dale