From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] inhouse email
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:43:49
1 kashani wrote:
2
3 > 1. Block mail up front.
4 > Use greylisting as it stops spam before it enters the MTA's queue.
5 > This keeps 90% of my spam from even entering the more resounce
6 > intensive filtering processes.
7 >
8 This is a very effective filter. However, it does greatly slow down
9 delivery of legitimate email. I found it a bit of a pain. Further,
10 there are those servers out there that respond to greylisting as a
11 bounce, so you need to specifically configure accordingly.
12
13 > 2. Don't use blacklists
14 > 30% false positive rate. Comapared to 1-2% for Bayesian or
15 > Markovian filtering.
16 >
17 I use both. As far as false positive goes, I have had very few false
18 positives ... in fact, i can not think of any. But, for a corporate
19 setting, I would not use it, but instead leave it all to software like
20 DSPAM or Spam Assassin.
21
22 > 3. Do some simple check up front, but don't do too many.
23 > Require a helo, reject invalid hostnames, reject unknown domains,
24 > reject non FQDN, and that's pretty much it. Requiring DNS to match and
25 > other checks is something you can do, but I've found that there are
26 > too many poorly configured legitimate mail servers for this to be
27 > worth the hassle.
28 >
29 All corporate servers should implement this IMHO ...
30
31 I am always surprised how many sites out there send mail directly from
32 webservers in a DMZ that do not have proper FQDN setup. I tend to find
33 these upon making an order and not getting an email ... log searches
34 reveal the problem. So, if you want maximum ability to receive email,
35 don't enforce these rules.
36
37 Tom Veldhouse
38 --