From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 13:31:44
1 On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 5:54 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > > > Can you imagine an fstab with 22 partitions specified with UUIDs?
4 >
5 > > Can you imagine an fstab with 22 partitions?
6 >
7 > The NVMe drive, the main one, has 18;
8
9 So, if all the partitions are on one drive and that is the only drive
10 you have, there aren't many issues with using raw kernel device names
11 to identify them. It isn't like a partition is just going to
12 disappear.
13
14 Once you have multiple disks, then UUIDs or labels become more
15 important, especially with a large number. If you had a dozen disks
16 with dozens of partitions and tried to use kernel device names, then
17 anytime a device failed or was enumerated differently you'd have stuff
18 mounted all over the place.
19
20 That said, something like lvm is a good solution in almost all cases
21 (or something semi-equivalent like zfs/btrfs/etc which have similar
22 functionality built-in). If I had that many partitions I'd hate to
23 deal with wanting to resize one, and with lvm that is pretty trivial.
24 You don't need to use UUIDs with lvm - they're basically equivalent to
25 labels.
26
27 Now, one area I would use UUIDs is with mdadm if you're not putting
28 lvm on top. I've seen mdadm arrays get renumbered and that is a mess
29 if you're directly mounting them without labels or UUIDs.
32 Rich