From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I'm confused by "[ebuild U #] virtual/udev-197 [171]". Help, please!
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:29:30
1 Hi, Alan.
2
3 On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:18:40PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:50:12 +0000
5 > Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
6
7 > > Hi, Gentoo!
8
9 > > After synching, I've got a whole lot of programs to emerge, amongst
10 > > them being udev-197. :-( I'd rather do this on its own, in peace
11 > > and quiet, rather than together with 12 or 13 other programs.
12
13 > > emerge -puND world generates these:
14
15 > > [ebuild U #] sys-fs/udev-197-r4 [171-r9] USE="acl%* kmod%*
16 > > openrc%* -doc% -static-libs%" [ebuild U #] virtual/udev-197 [171]
17
18 > > . The # indicates the packages are masked in packages.mask, which
19 > > indeed they are. The emerge man-page indicates that these new
20 > > versions will nevertheless be merged. But surely this is what the
21 > > entry in packages.mask is to prevent? Why does emerge want to merge
22 > > udev-197 in this case? How do I stop it?
23
24 > > What am I missing here?
27 > My reading of that man page is that the #/*/~ output characters do not
28 > indicate what emerge will do, they indicate if any sort of mask exists
29 > at the ebuild and tree level. In other words, that udev version is
30 > somehow listed in one of the various masking methods and portage is
31 > confirming that for you.
32
33 > However, portage is going to install it anyway which can only be
34 > because you have some unmask setting (probably a local one) which is
35 > overriding the mask setting, you just need to find where you did it.
36
37 That was it, sort of.
38
39 emerge decided to install sys-fs/udisks-1.0.4-r4 (presumably this had
40 just become stable), and this had a dependency on
41
42 >=virtual/udev-197[gudev,hwdb]
43
44 . So rather than refusing to merge udisks, it insisted on merging
45 udev-197. This strikes me as a bug, not a feature, but who am I to
46 pronounce on these matters?
47
48 Just as soon as I put ">=udisks-1.0.4-r4" (and a similar entry for
49 udev-init-scripts) into package.mask, I got a clean reply from "emerge
50 -puND world".
51
52 Anyway, I'll probably do that tomorrow, then start considering udev-197
53 and all the pain and grief it'll bring me.
54
55 [ .... ]
56
57 > In plain English I take that to mean: In spite of a mask existing for
58 > the package, portage is going to merge it anyway as something somewhere
59 > overrides the mask (and portage unhelpfully declined to tell me where
60 > that override is coming from...)
61
62 Actually, it did tell me, a few lines below, but in emerge's customary
63 terse fashion which I missed first time round.
64
65 Anyhow thanks for the help.
66
67 > --