From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] List of Intel CPUs that wont get Meltdown/Spectre fixes
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 22:20:55
1 On 05/04/18 17:54, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I
3 > haven't checked recently but the last time I looked at it even my
4 > current Ryzen CPU doesn't have a microcode fix out yet for lfence.
5
6 Is lfence a meltdown problem? Because afaik Ryzen doesn't need a fix for
7 meltdown, it's not vulnerable.
8
9 As for Spectre, it's inherent in modern CPU design. There IS no fix,
10 other than going back to the drawing board and scrapping years of
11 optimisation, making computers maybe 30% slower :-(
12
13 I don't think Spectre IS fixable. Sure we can play whack-a-mole, but
14 unless we rip up the lawn and replace it with concrete, the problem will
15 simply come back in another guise.
16
17 Cheers,
18 Wol