From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distrowatch and gentoo......
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:31:27
1 On 6/30/06, Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 <snip>
4 > Hi,
5 > Don't wanna say anything, but all of you could just search -dev
6 > ML-archives. There are two alternate package-managers in development.
7 > Some sparks about dev/user overlays,sunrise-overlay,GWN etc. etc.
8 > Not seen such turmoil in latest 3 years (and IMHO most things are
9 > personal). No flames intended, just info.
10 > Rumen
11
12 So, one thing that people seem to forget when they see a lot of
13 "conflict" going on in situations like these - it's almost always
14 (unless it gets *too* out of hand) a Good Thing. The fact that there
15 is a large group of developers and users that are willing to go
16 through the effort to have such discussions mean that they care *a
17 lot* about Gentoo and Gentoo's future. The fact that these things can
18 sometimes get a little heated encourages me even more - it means that
19 these people are *extremely* passionate about Gentoo, and Gentoo's
20 success! If you go through these recent "hot" discussions and
21 generalize them, here's pretty much what the theme is *every* time:
22
23 Person A: I have this great, cool, new, awesome idea that I want to
24 implement to make Gentoo a Better Thing!
25 Person B: OK - cool idea! However, I am concerned that by implementing
26 that Shiny New Idea, you make areas X and Y worse!
27 Person A & B: OK, lets see if we can fix this together.
28
29 OK, so, a lot of time, people who make developers are *not* people who
30 make good communicators, good mediators, etc. etc., so sometimes the
31 interactions don't go down *quite* as nicely as that. ;)
32
33 However, when you're reading the discussions, always keep this in
34 mind: These people are donating their time, brain power, effort, and
35 life. Due to the moderately high barrier to entry of becoming an
36 actual Dev (the reading, testing, mentoring, etc.), you can be pretty
37 damn sure that these people aren't here just to screw everyone else
38 over, or to screw Gentoo over. So, why are they here? Because they
39 love Gentoo, and they want to help make it even better.
40
41 So, basically, what I guess I'm trying to say, is that - yes,
42 sometimes things get a little heated, and yes, sometimes developers
43 don't communicate very well <gasp>, but, the cause behind *all* of
44 these discussions is a passion for making Gentoo better for us - the
45 users.
46
47 -James
48 --