From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing gentoo (multiple OS)
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 11:04:58
1 srini srini wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I need some advise here as I am trying to install gentoo along with
5 > different other OS'es including windows.
6 > As I am new to this field I would need some guidance as to ho to go
7 > about and to know the subtleties between LILO and GRUB.
8 >
9 > Can anyone help me about this.
10 >
11 > TIA
12 > --SR--
15 Its been a long while since I did this but this was how I did it. I had
16 a common /boot for all OS's, then separate partitions/drives for the
17 rest of the OS's. If you run all the distros with pretty close to the
18 same versions of desktop and such, you may can get away with a common
19 /home. If one OS is running KDE3 and another KDE4, then you may run
20 into issues. I'm sure there are other issues you need to look into as
21 well.
22
23 I used lilo a VERY long time ago. Once I used grub, I never used lilo
24 again. If the distros you chose is using the new Grub then use the new
25 one for them all. If all use the older one, then use it. If it is a
26 mix of those, then you need to look into ways to get them to all use the
27 same or chainload them somehow. To me, that sounds complicated. At
28 some point, I would pick a distro and stick with it. No issue with
29 folks trying out different ones but why update and hang onto different
30 ones when you only need one? ;-)
31
32 If I set up a system with windoze, I always put windoze on the first
33 drive, sda, and Linux on the rest. They could share but I just always
34 liked to keep windoze on its own. I always felt windoze was a virus
35 itself. It might migrate over to Linux somehow. lol
36
37 Dale
38
42 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!