From: Doug O'Neal <oneal@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How send mail when user login on ssh or local ?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:34:56
1 On 07/30/2009 06:12 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 31 July 2009 00:05:16 Harry Putnam wrote:
3 >>> Somebody know how I to so send mail with IP and Date/time when same
4 >>> user login on shell ( remote or local ) ?
5 >>>
6 >>> I work with another admin's and I never told me when they access and
7 >>> for what my server to do something, I try log but this can be erased
8 >>> and maybe mail can help me about access and with this I can Ask about
9 >>> this access.
10 >> Do you really think the other admins would be erasing logs?
11 >
12 > That's what I was thinking. If you don't trust the other admin, then either:
13 >
14 > 1. You need to stop being the admin, or
15 > 2. The other person needs to stop being the admin.
16 >
17 > This is not a technical problem, it does not need a technical solution.
18 > It is a human problem and it needs a human solution.
19 >
20 > This sounds nasty. Of course it is nasty - it intended it to be. But it's also
21 > true. In 25 years in this game, I have never found the above to be false.
22 > Trying to do anything about it is a fool's game and down that path lies
23 > madness.
24
25 I agree 100% with Alan and it is a log-standing policy of mine that I
26 will not
27 share admin responsibilities with someone not on my staff. Until you put
28 that in place however, you might consider setting the system syslog to log
29 to an external system that only you control. The other admin can turn off
30 logging but you will know when he's done so.