From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the most error resistant filesystem?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 04:56:44
1 On 10/03/2011 11:47 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > Hello people!
3 >
4 > Now, I have the same question as this guy:
5 >
6 > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=66651
7 >
8 > I.e., what is the most robust filesystem for Linux?
9 >
10 > The box will be used as a gateway/firewall for a branch office, so I
11 > really couldn't care less about filesystem performance. But the utility
12 > power there is horrendous, so I need something that can shrug off a
13 > catastrophic power loss, and/or very fast fsck.
14 >
15 > I'd also appreciate any tips on mount options to further enhance robustness.
16
17 Journaling filesystems are as safe as you'll get on commodity hardware.
18 I would choose ext4 because I'm familiar with it, but I'm sure others
19 offer the same options. It's also got the fastest fsck that I'm aware of.
20
21 From `man tune2fs`:
22
23 journal_data
24 When the filesystem is mounted with journalling
25 enabled, all data (not just metadata) is committed into
26 the journal prior to being written into the main
27 filesystem.
30 block_validity
31
32 (I haven't used this, but spotted it in the man page)
33
34 The file system will be mounted with the block_validity
35 option enabled, which causes extra checks to be per‐
36 formed after reading or writing from the file system.
37 This prevents corrupted metadata blocks from causing
38 file system damage by overwriting parts of the inode
39 table or block group descriptors. This comes at the
40 cost of increased memory and CPU overhead, so it is
41 enabled only for debugging purposes. (This option is
42 currently only supported by the ext4 file system driver
43 in 2.6.35+ kernels.)