From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 05:49:28
1 On Friday 06 February 2009 04:45:04 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 5 Feb 2009, at 23:12, Joshua D Doll wrote:
3 > > ... Also man pages lacking valuable information is the reason why
4 > > GNU has switched to the majority of their packages to using info!
5 >
6 > I suspect the reason for this is far more about navigation then
7 > contents. GNU can rewrite all their man pages if they don't like the
8 > content, but `man` does not offer the facilities to hyperlink sections
9 > that `info` does.
10
11 I suspect it has more to do with RMS's liking for micro-managing things, for
12 changing everything he can get his hands on, and also a great big dose
13 of "Not Invented Here" syndrome.
18 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com