From: Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Call for opinions and/or use cases regarding games.eclass
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2016 20:36:00
1 At Friday, 1. Juli 2016, 01:27:37 CEST wrote Daniel Campbell:
2 > Most of us know about the games.eclass history. Let's put that aside;
3 > I'm looking for user consensus on packages that use(d) games.eclass.
4 >
5 > 1. Do you take advantage of games.eclass features, including restricting
6 > game access to a given group and installing games outside of /usr and/or
7 > on different media?
8 Yes, I do use the games.eclass (or did it with EAPI=5) for installing all
9 games at least into a different subdirectories than default $PATH. In addition
10 I use a different user “games“ with $HOME=/home/games. This has its origins
11 primarily in my personal way of data organisation & backups. All data that
12 belong to any games which are „not packaged by portage“ (some games binaries,
13 cached files, highscores, ...) are inside that home dir.
14
15 > 2. If yes, how do you feel about the removal of the eclass? Did you rely
16 > on its functionality? Does your use case require it?
17 I only used the eclass to separate games binaries and data from my main / to a
18 different location where only the games user has acces to.
19
20 > 3. If yes, _what is your use case_? Which features are important to your
21 > use case wrt games and what can Gentoo do to improve that?
22 Honestly I didn’t really took a deeper look into all of games.eclass’s
23 functions, because it was labeld deprecated shortly after I started using it.
24
25 > We cannot make concrete decisions without concrete evidence, so please
26 > answer and speak for your use case. This will serve as a public record
27 > of interest, and might even inspire a few people. :)
28 Great use ask the users - that’s how a community should work :)
29
30 > Thanks for your time,
31 Thanks for your call here ;)
32
33 > ~zlg
34 ~nils
37 Nils Freydank, GnuPG: 0x44594171807206CF
38 holgersson at IRC/freenode