From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIG reiserfs problem
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:17:46
1 On Tuesday 31 October 2006 11:04, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On 31 October 2006 09:17, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > I find it useful to keep in mind that XFS is a file-system (i.e. a
4 > > system for files), and not necessarily a severly disk-bound
5 > > filesystem
6 >
7 > Would you mind to elaborate on this? I simply do not get your point.
8
9 Historically SGI was very strong in graphics, and those applicatiosn
10 tended to generate massive amounts of temporary files that had a short
11 life and only the final version needs to be written to persistent
12 storage, very well suited to aggressive caching and other similar
13 speedups.
14
15 SGI's engineers could get away with this because they could guarantee
16 that power loss to the machine wouldn't happen, so the potential data
17 loss on a power outage didn't happen either. This sounds a bit weird to
18 those of us raised on Intel where we pay close attention to getting
19 everything on disk ASAP with as little performance loss as possible,
20 but it's a perfectly reasonable system for an engineer to implement on
21 the kind of hardware SGI were building.
22
23 That's why I say XFS is designed to not be tightly bound to the physical
24 disk if the admin chooses to set it up that way, and the file system
25 becomes more of a collection of directories and files that might never
26 even be stored on a disk at all
27
28 alan
29 --