From: Stanislav Nikolov <stanislav.ltb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Better CPU for compiling with gcc
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:47:19
1 Dear Gentoo users,
2 I'm building a new PC. I have a budget of ~$550-$650. No GPU, no special case (I may use a card box), not even a hdd or ssd.
3 So, as you can see, it's pretty much "get the best CPU and mobo/ram that are compatible with it". The problem is, which is the best one. By "best" I mean to compile shit fast. My laptop with 3rd gen i5 compiles firefox for 40 minutes on average.
4
5 The most expensive Intel CPU is the skylake i7-6700k. But is it the best? Is there something from AMD that will perform even better? I can't find any benchmarks with AMD/Intel CPUs.
6 And how much does the mobo matter? Will a cheap $30 400W PSU power that thing?
7
8 Thanks