From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 18:55:20
1 On Friday, 15 January 2021 22:43:36 GMT thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > The fact that I'm logged via ssh over VPN to a remote network should not
4 > have any influence over network speed.
5
6 It may influence speed if you're trying to push a large file through the
7 tunnel. TCP over TCP tends to choke due to retransmissions:
8
9 http://sites.inka.de/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html
10
11 Is the VPN you mention using a TCP or UDP tunnel?
14 > I just made a loop:
15 > Network A ==> Internet ==> Network B
16 > ssh back to Network A over internet and run "rsync" I got same speed (as if
17 > I run the command locally) on Network A 112MB/s
18 >
19 > So the limiting factor is somewhere else.
20
21 I'm sorry, but I fail to understand with any clarity what runs where and how
22 when you test things locally, Vs remotely. I mean:
23
24 - Network topology;
25 - Network Protocols;
26 - Applications & application protocols;
27 - Relevant services on each peer;
28 - Actions on each peer;
29 - Results per action.
30
31 As already mentioned iperf or netcat/telnet results will confirm if this is
32 purely a network issue, ISPs performing deep packet inspection/throttling
33 affecting throughput asymmetrically, etc.
34
35 SSDs are typically faster than spinning disks, but not always as fast as
36 ramdisks/tmpfs, especially if write amplification takes place, TRIM kicks in,
37 etc.
38
39 Stacking network + application protocols can also have an adverse effect.
40 Applications like rsync which compare file names, sizes, hashes and what not,
41 do not offer a reliable speed comparison.
42
43 Methodically testing each component of the transmission system should get you
44 an answer at the end.