From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: I want my xmms
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:12:48
1 On 2007-01-03, Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 >> You don't think that 58M of virtual memory usage isn't a
4 >> resource hog when the X server only requires 56M and the next
5 >> largest program is 32M? Virtual memory _is_ a resource,
6 >> though not an expensive one.
7 >
8 > Errrm, to get back to my example above: Mmap'ing a file (and increasing
9 > your programs VSZ) is often much more elegant than classic procedural
10 > fseek'ing and fread'ing. Nothing, absolutely nothing makes that causing
11 > the program to become a "resource hog". The VM subsystem will care that
12 > exactly those parts of the file will be cached, buffered, accessed and
13 > (if needed) copied that are used.
14
15 You're right. For some reason I was thinking that that virtual
16 memory was taking up swap space, but it's almost certainly just
17 read-only pages that never hit swap at all.
20 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is this TERMINAL fun?
21 at
22 visi.com
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list