From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best way to copy /* ?
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:29:36
1 On Wednesday 29 December 2010 17:50:08 Alex Schuster wrote:
2
3 > What Maciej said. Or, for greater security when the destination is
4 > outside the LAN:
5 >
6 > cd [source] & tar xpf - . | ssh [user]@[host] 'cd [dest] && tar xpf
7 > -'
8
9 That's what I was looking for - a single command I can run on the source
10 machine. Thanks Alex.
11
12 Just one more thing - what if I only want to store the tar of the source
13 directory as an archive on the remote machine? In that case I'd want to
14 stream the incoming data into a file instead of untarring it.
17 Rgds
18 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.