From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:56:45
1 On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 1:12 PM, <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > The first 100 or so I looked at, are deprecated. They just need somebody
4 > to 'remove them' the BGO java backlog is being artificially used to
5 > prevent java work on gentoo. Somebody of authority needs to open
6 > up java for other folks to work on. Close the 100 oldest bugs
7 > is a no brainer and a good start, yet nobody will do that, and nobody
8 > else is allowed to close them. *CONVENIENT* if you hate java and are
9 > in control.
10
11 How are open bugs artificially preventing java work? If you want to
12 work on Java, then work on it. You don't even need to look at
13 Bugzilla to work on something. Just do it.
14
15 > This policy, whether part of a grand conspiracy, or due to apathetic
16 > leadership, has the net effect to run off potential new devs to gentoo
17 > and who like java.
18
19 What policy are you talking about? ANY Gentoo dev can work on or
20 close java bugs, as long as they're maintaining the packages in
21 question. THAT is Gentoo policy. If some dev feels that somebody is
22 preventing this from happening all they have to do is speak up and it
23 will be taken care of. Squatting is not allowed in Gentoo.
24
25 I think the real problem is that there aren't many devs who care about
26 Java in the first place. That isn't a policy problem - it is a
27 manpower problem.
30 > Rich, I actually appreciate you help. But somebody of authority is going to
31 > have to step into this java on gentoo mess and clean house,
32 > provide leadership and encourage (hell, just remove the roadblocks)
33 > from java on gentoo.
34
35 Show me somebody willing to do the work who is being prevented from
36 doing the work, and we can figure out how to fix things.
37
38 Like most FOSS projects Gentoo is a "do-ocracy." The leaders are the
39 people who DO things, not the people who get elected. For the most
40 part the people who are elected try to keep obstacles out of the way
41 of those who do things, and generally provide basic rules so that we
42 can all live together.
43
44 As a Gentoo user and leader, there really wouldn't be that much
45 personal impact to me if Java disappeared from the tree. That doesn't
46 mean that I want to see it go, or that I won't do what I can to enable
47 people to care for it. However, most FOSS projects are driven by
48 people who are scratching their own itches. The only way Java will
49 have a good experience on Gentoo is if lots of people who use Java
50 step up and make it that way. You can't look to a bunch of people who
51 don't care about Java and try to get them to care, whether they're
52 leaders or not. If you told me that a million more people would use
53 Gentoo if only we spent an extra couple of hours working on Java, I'd
54 ask why I should care if a million more people use Gentoo? :) I want
55 people to use Gentoo because it is the right solution for them, and I
56 want them to contribute back. If they'd be happier elsewhere, then
57 more power to them. Most Gentoo devs aren't out to maximize our
58 market share or anything like that.
59
60 Please don't take this as some kind of rejection. I'd love to see
61 Gentoo have great Java support. However, I doubt it matters as much
62 to me as it does to you, so you're the one with the incentive to make
63 it happen. That's how just about everything that exists in Gentoo got
64 the way it is - somebody cared and made it happen.
67 Rich