From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 00:18:33
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Dan Farrell [mailto:dan@×××××××××.cx]
3 > Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:27 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
8 > Not to mention you will spend much longer waiting for
9 > everything to download then you'd have to wait for everything
10 > do download on demand. It would probably be more desirable
11 > for you to keep a network-shared distfiles than mirror the
12 > servers. Then there's the age-old 'static hosts file'
13 > problem - just like the giant host file describing everyone
14 > took longer to transfer than to become outdated back in the
15 > glorious days of UNIX, it will also probably take longer to
16 > dowload all distfiles ever than it will for those distfiles
17 > to become outdated. In conclusion, I think this is a rather
18 > silly idea.
19 > --
20
21 You are right I think.
22 If nothing else the handbook says that Gentoo etiquite says not
23 to rsync your portage tree more than once a day. For the average
24 distro, once a week or even once a month is more than sufficient
25 to keep up with the packages in the main branch.
26
27 I think that I will probably be better off doing a stage three
28 install, then doing an 'emerge -euD world' or similar before
29 moving on from there. After that, I can just make sure to watch
30 the FAQ's and walkthroughs when I install Xorg to make sure that
31 I do it right. ^_^
32
33 Hopefully by the time I build the machine, either A) I can get
34 a decent nVidia card, or B) the ATI drivers will be released. ^_^
35
36 I preffer nVidia, but if the ATI drivers go open source (crossing
37 my fingers but not holding my breath), then that will be a good
38 option as well.
39
40 ^_^
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list