From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Index to /usr/share/doc/...html... a reinvented wheel?
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:06:11
1 On 7/3/07, Naga <nagatoro@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wednesday 04 July 2007 00:19:14 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > Did I just reinvent a wheel? If not, is there any point it trying to
5 > make
6 > > this part of gentoo? If so, how would one do that?
7 >
8 > See DOC_SYMLINKS_DIR in make.conf (man page I think, or .example)
11 Thanks, I was able to track it down from that hint.
12
13 For the record:
14 Read about it in "man make.conf".
15
16 The description there is quite sparse, and I haven't done any emerges since
17 I set it,
18 so I'm not sure exactly how it works. I think it just sets
19 version-independent symlinks,
20 and leaves it up to you whether to bookmark them.
21
22 Unless there's more going on, I'm going to prefer my little script. It
23 builds a web page
24 with current links, organized by package. I run it in a cron job several
25 times a week,
26 so it's pretty much up-to-date. These are all listed unless they are
27 linked from another
28 index.html higher in the directory structure. This makes most of the
29 entries pretty clean, with
30 a few notable exceptions: boost, java, apache, drscheme, python-docs and
31 mplayer among the packages I have. I'll probably tweak these when I get
32 some time.
33
34 For me the main advantage is in doing a quick check to see if a given
35 package actually has
36 any "index.html" files anywhere under /usr/share/doc. Just browsing to the
38 file can be a pain sometimes, and my patience is usually thinner than usual
39 when
40 I'm desperately seeking documentation.
41
42 So: am I the only one who likes this?
43
44 ++ kevin
48 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD