From: Adrian <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting Photos From A Digital Camera
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:27:54
1 On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:05:43 +0100
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote the words:
3
4 > On Saturday 02 September 2006 08:06, sdoma wrote:
5 >
6 > > Why not set up your camera to act as a USB disk?
7 > > I do it this way and use the very special tools like ``mount'',
8 > > ``ls'' and ``cp'' ;o)))))))))))))
9 >
10 > I second this. Just set something like:
11 > =================================================
12 > /dev/sda /mnt/sda auto,vfat,msdos noauto,user,noatime 0 0
13 > /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto,vfat,msdos noauto,user,noatime 0 0
14 > =================================================
15 > depending on what your camera's flash memory is recognised as (look
16 > in your dmesg output when you plug it in) and then use ls, or your
17 > file manager to look at and manipulate its contents. If you have
18 > hald it should be picked up automatically without you having to
19 > create the /mnt/sda directory or manually mount/umount the device.
20 >
21 > --
22 > Regards,
23 > Mick
24
25 Actually, this was the first thing I tried. I can not convince the
26 camera to mount however.
27
28 All I get from dmesg is:
29
30 usb 4-2: USB disconnect, address 5
31 usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
34 I tried your suggestions in my fstab and all I get is:
35
36 mount: special device /dev/sda does not exist
37 or
38 mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
39
40 depending on which /dev/sda* I use in fstab.
41
42 I thought this would work, in theory. Practise has proven me wrong.
43 Adrian
46 On The Fly Photography -:- Creation From Chaos
47
48 On The Fly Photography: http://204EastSouth.com
49 Purchase from On The Fly: http://204EastSouth.com/OTFStore.htm
50 The Cynical Libertarian Society: http://www.204EastSouth.com/cls