From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 14:40:18
1 On 2013-03-14, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2013-03-14, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I was wondering. Has anyone ever seen where a test as been done to
6 >>> compare the speed of Gentoo with other distros? Maybe Gentoo compared
7 >>> to Redhat, Mandrake, Ubuntu and such?
8 >> I just did a test, and they're all the same.
9 >>
10 >> CDs/DVDS of various distros dropped from a height of 1m all hit the
11 >> floor simultaneously
12 >> [...]
13 >> The point being, you're going to have to define "speed".
14
15 > OK. It appears not very many can figure out what I asked for. So,
16 > let me spell it out for those who are challenged. LOL ;-) Read some
17 > humor into that OK.
18 >
19 > Install a OS. Run tests on a set of programs and record the time it
20 > takes to complete a certain task. More tasks the better.
21
22 The results are going to vary depending on what task(s) are chosen.
23
24 If app/library/compiler versions are the same, all of the results I've
25 read about show you're not going to see a noticable difference. You
26 might be able to _measure_ a difference, but it's not something you'll
27 ever notice.
28
29 IOW, if you spend a few days tweaking CFLAGS, you might be able to
30 increase the number of FFTs per second you can run by a few percent
31 when compared to an off-the-shelf Ubuntu, RedHat, or Scientific Linux
32 install. But, if that's what you care about, then using a better
33 library/algorithm or better hardware is what you do.
34
35 The advantage of Gentoo is ease of administration, ease of
36 customization, ease of getting non default/mainstream things installed
37 and working right.
40 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! The entire CHINESE
41 at WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL TEAM all
42 gmail.com share ONE personality --
43 and have since BIRTH!!