From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: virtual/shadow
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:22:04
1 On 12/03/12 20:05, Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:
2 > These virtual apps are irritating me, and the fanboi answers in #gentoo
3 > are worse.
4 >
5 > What is the purpose of virtual/shadow and why would I want it?
6
7 Paul's answers covers it, but I'll give an explanation that is the
8 reverse of a fanboi answer.
9
10 The reason we need virtuals is because of a shortcoming in portage: lack
11 of "provides" functionality. RPM packages can tell the package manager
12 what they provide. For example, RPMs for libav and ffmpeg can both use
13 "ffmpeg" as their "provides" field. Portage can't do that, so it needs
14 a new "virtual/ffmpeg" package instead.