From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 06:31:17
1 On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 01:38:42 -0400 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I'm running a Core2-duo desktop from 2008 with 3 gigs of ram. I want
3 > to run it into the ground, not throw it away while it's still
4 > functional. With Gentoo optimization, pluse using ICEWM, it's generally
5 > snappy. But there are a few web pages that throw the kitchen sink of
6 > 3rd-pary adservers+trackers. 178 unique servers for one web page will
7 > peg the load from the web browser to 150% of 1 cpu core. On a 2-core
8 > machine, that is bad. The browser is unresponsive for a few seconds at
9 > a time.
10 >
11 > I'm building up a rather large hosts file, but the adservers have a
12 > gazillion subnames for each domain, in a deliberate attempt to bypass
13 > hosts files. It would be more effective block entire domains. Is there
14 > a lightweight DNS server, or some iptables trick, or whatever, that'll
15 > block specified domains?
16
17 Use uBlock origin. Both firefox and chromium work perfectly fine
18 for me on a Core2Duo host.
21 Best regards,
22 Andrew Savchenko