From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "wiping" unused space and/or secure erasing of files
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:49:53
1 On Sunday 30 October 2005 04:17, Dale wrote:
2 > Those forensics folks sure are good though.  I have heard they can get
3 > it back even after you have wrote alternating 1's and 0's to the drive a
4 > dozen times.  I wonder how they do that?
5
6 Magnetic remnants.
7 I don't imagine there would be a whole lot left after bit flipping a dozen
8 times, nor do I understand the process, but if you're determined enough and
9 have the time/funds/skill who knows. Smash the drive with a sledge hammer,
10 and you can still retrieve lots.
13 Mike Williams
16 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list