From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 21:45:30
1 On Monday, 14 November 2022 21:05:57 GMT Dale wrote:
2
3 > Thing is, I may go a year, sometimes more, without updating the kernel.
4 > If I rebooted often, I could see using a LTS kernel. If a kernel can
5 > run for months with no problems, it's stable enough for me. Plus my
6 > hardware works.
7
8 Keeping the same kernel running for long periods can leave you exposed to
9 security vulnerabilities. Either stable or LTS kernels will be similarly
10 exposed, if their latest backported versions are not booted with. I
11 appreciate you're not running a public server so your profile is not as much
12 at risk, but bad code in some application which hasn't been patched up could
13 still leave you exposed.
16 > I have even built a kernel but never actually booted it. By the time I
17 > get around to rebooting, I've had to build another kernel. I generally
18 > always work from a known stable config tho. The only reason I wouldn't
19 > is if I build a new system and have to start from scratch. I've also
20 > had times when I had to update because my video drivers wouldn't build
21 > with a older kernel version that I'm running. That doesn't happen to
22 > often but I recall running into that at least once.
23
24 Shutting down your desktop applications and rebooting with a new kernel takes
25 no longer than a couple of minutes. I mean even busy bank customer web
26 portals have planned downtime.
29 > Either way, biggest question was if there was some known breakage
30 > between my old version and a newer version. Maybe the one I tried just
31 > had some weird problem that only affected me or I just missed something
32 > during the oldconfig. I wish I could recall the error. Who knows on
33 > that.
34 >
35 > Thanks.
36 >
37 > Dale
38 >
40
41 Did you diff your current good kernel .config and the new failed to boot
42 kernel .config, to find out what options/modules have changed. Besides any
43 booting errors, this could point you to something which was missed in the new
44 kernel, or perhaps shouldn't have been configured. That's how I go about
45 finding the cause of a non-booting kernel in the rare occasions I end up with
46 a lemon.