From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disable fcron logging
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 22:12:55
1 Alan McKinnon writes:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 15:25 on Saturday 21 August 2010, Alex
4 > Schuster did opine thusly:
5
6 > > There is a nolog option for fcrontab, but I still get this output
7 > > every minute:
8 > That will tell fcron not to log stuff.
9 > It will not tell other apps to not stuff
10
11 Right. But I did not know that there are more things involved than cron
12 itself and the command I am calling. This PAM stuff is new to me, but
13 maybe I just never noticed it before in my logs. It's no problem when it's
14 not coming every minute.
15
16 > > Aug 21 15:10:06 [fcron] pam_unix(fcron:session): session opened for
17 > > user root by (uid=0) Aug 21 15:10:08 [fcron]
18 > > pam_unix(fcron:session): session closed for user root
19 > >
20 > > Hmmm... could it be that these entries do not come from fcron itself,
21 > > but from PAM?
22 >
23 > Yes.
24 >
25 > Configure your syslogger to devnull these specific entries.
26 > All three common sysloggers (syslogd,syslog-ng,rsyslog) all come with
27 > extensive documentation on how to do this.
28
29 Hmm, okay. I think there is no perfect solution. When I disable logging of
30 this PAM stuff, I can only disable it completely, but what if I want to
31 keep the logging from other jobs that are not run that often? Although for
32 this case I can use the direct logging of fcron (without nolog), so this
33 is quite academic. Can anybody still follow me? But thanks for the
34 clarification.
35
36 Meanwhile, I have the script running in /etc/conf.d/local.start, so I have
37 no syslog output at all and I also can have more updates than only once
38 per minute.
39
40 Wonko