From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo: stock trading tools ?
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 00:32:09
1 On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 08/07/2012 11:46 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> Each Windows VM has it's own Windows
5 >> license as well as it's own virus protection license. I run different
6 >> trading apps in different VMs. All trading VMs are Virtualbox.
7 >
8 > Just curious if you've given wine a try in recent months. I use a few
9 > proprietary Windows apps (but only for quotes, not trading) that didn't
10 > run on wine at all two years ago and now they run very well.
11 >
12 > The wine devs are very busy making improvements and they are clearly
13 > very talented people. Remarkable project IMO.
14
15 No, I haven't tried Wine in a long time. I don't doubt your remarks at
16 all, the devs are great, smart, talented and dedicated people but I'd
17 never trust 1 penny of real money to crappy Windows programs (which
18 all the Windows trading platforms are) running in a Windows
19 non-emulator when I can just run real Win 7 in a VM and not be
20 bothered with any of that stuff. All my apps are 64-bit Win 7 versions
21 now. They use lots of memory and tax compute power, etc. I've had apps
22 running full out since 5AM PST today. If I was to choose Wine it's
23 left to me to figure out if the apps even function, much less work
24 correctly. I just don't have time for that.
25
26 On the other hand the VM model is proven world wide in a huge number
27 of application spaces. It's really stable, powerful and reasonably
28 easy to use. It is the 'cloud'.
29
30 As always just my opinion, but Wine is best for the casual Windows
31 _application_ user, possibly lower end games or once in awhile
32 Microsoft Word user for those who doesn't want to deal with a complete
33 Windows install , etc. It's not, as best I know, a replacement for a
34 critical work environment to run power apps in Windows.
35
36 Opinionately yours, ;-)
37 Mark