From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DRM error: couldn't read SADs
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 01:10:33
1 On 2018.02.12 19:57, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 11 February 2018 05:41:28 GMT 80x24 wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 12:47 AM,
4 > > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > > > [drm:dce_v11_0_afmt_setmode] *ERROR* Couldn't read SADs: 0
6 > > > [...]
7 > > > traps: plugin-containe[6833] general protection ip:7f0a2e1711b1
8 > > > sp:7fff6f64dc30 error:0 in ld-2.25.so[7f0a2e15c000+23000]
9 > > >
10 > > > What is a SAD (other than a seasonal affective disorder)? That
11 > library
12 > > > comes from glibc, of which I've had 5 versions or revisions in
13 > that time
14 > > /**
15 > > * drm_edid_to_sad - extracts SADs from EDID
16 > > * @edid: EDID to parse
17 > > * @sads: pointer that will be set to the extracted SADs
18 > > *
19 > > * Looks for CEA EDID block and extracts SADs (Short Audio
20 > Descriptors)
21 > > fr$
22 > > *
23 > > * Note: The returned pointer needs to be freed using kfree().
24 > > *
25 > > * Return: The number of found SADs or negative number on error.
26 > > */
27 > >
28 > > Considering the term ``EDID'' and some audio related words, I think
29 > > it's reading some info from your monitor.
30 >
31 > Hmm. Interesting. Looks like I'll have to revise my screen setup.
32 > It's a
33 > Samsung LED device with HDMI input. This box outputs HDMI too, but
34 > the other
35 > boxes I use it on output DVI, so by piecemeal development I've ended
36 > up with
37 > a four-port DVI switch, all connected with adapter cables.
38 >
39 > It seems likely that EDID is getting lost, and I may now also have a
40 > reason
41 > for the washed-out appearance of the screen. Modern websites with
42 > their pale
43 > colours are hard to read. Even the green of KMail's quoted text is
44 > hard.
45 >
46 > The other boxes I mentioned can also output VGA, and the screen can
47 > accept
48 > VGA too and switch between inputs. So I just need a two-port VGA
49 > switch and
50 > some cables. I've not long since thrown out all the old VGA stuff -
51 > damn! I
52 > knew I should never throw anything away.
53
54 It's been a long time since I've needed to do it, and it was also due
55 to a (cheap?) KVM switch, but I think there are two things that might
56 help. First, if you boot the PC with that monitor connected, it might
57 actually read the EDID data. Even if not, if you can capture it (one
58 time use of a straigt DVI or VGA cable?) you can save it tp a file
59 using x11-misc/read-edid, and then there is a way to get kernel/X to
60 read that EDID file at startup instead of trying and failing to get it
61 directly from the monitor. If you can't find a reference, I'll dig and
62 try to figure out if it's kernel paramater or xorg.conf that you need
63 to mess with.
64
65 Jack