From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suddenly, ssh is slow to connect
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 22:44:33
1 On 5/4/06, John Jolet <john@×××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thursday 04 May 2006 17:18, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > On 5/4/06, John Jolet <john@×××××.net> wrote:
5 > > > On Thursday 04 May 2006 13:57, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
6 > > > > In the last few days, connection takes a minute or so to my gentoo
7 > box.
8 > > > > It used to be no longer than a namespace lookup. It's not TCP, I
9 > > > > think, because connecting to apache is fast and my web pages bet
10 > served
11 > > > > as usual.
12 > > > >
13 > > > > What happened to sshd???
14 > > >
15 > > > is UseDNS set to yes? maybe that value changed, or for whatever
16 > reason
17 > > > your
18 > > > looksup are no longer working. sounds like a dns timeout.
19 > > > --
20 > >
21 > > Hmmm. I'll look, but I did just change domain registrars. Maybe I've
22 > got
23 > > a sluggish
24 > > nameserver. But then, why would it continue to be slow when I do it a
25 > > second time --
26 > > doesn't anybody cache resolutions any more?
27 > >
28 > > Anyway, this gives me some stuff to look at.
29 > sometimes my isp gives me a bad or stale dns server on dhcp....not often,
30 > but
31 > sometimes...go in and restart networking, and it fixes.
32 >
33 > --
34
35 UseDNS is on for ssh, not for ssh2 (where it does not even appear)
36
37 I found that one of the nameservers for my domain was down, and it was
38 listed early.
39 I've edited the zone file; I'll see what happens when the change propagates
40 to the
41 universe.
42
43 ++ kevin