From: "C. Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ODBC Connection to MySQL and necessary packages
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:15:20
1 Hi,
2
3 I have further info to that listed below.
4
5 As stated below, I followed the same instructions to set this up in
6 Gentoo as I did in Fedora Core. However, this morning, I was doing a
7 google search to see if I could find more information. The document
8 that I followed has had a revision and now to create an ODBC connection
9 to a MySQL database, you need 2 things:
10
11 1) MyODBC, which I have installed, and
12 2) MySQL-shared
13
14 The documentation that this was taken from was using an rpm based system
15 for the example, and ergo, the MySQL-shared referenced was an rpm package.
16
17 I've tried googling for 'mysql-shared and gentoo', but I can't figure
18 out what Gentoo package this might refer to.
19
20 Does anyone know?
23 Regards,
24
25 Colleen
28 C. Beamer wrote:
29
30 >Hello all,
31 >
32 >I am trying to set up an ODBC connection to a MySQL database. I have
33 >done this before when I used Fedora Core, but when I tried to do it
34 >today on my Gentoo system, I got an error message when I tested the
35 >connection.
36 >
37 >I have both UnixODBC and myodbc installed.
38 >
39 >The instructions that I previously followed to set this up in Fedora
40 >were as follows:
41 >
42 >create 2 files - odbcinst.ini and odbc.ini These files were supposed to
43 >be in /etc. In Fedora Core, there were templates to use, but I had to
44 >completely create the files in Gentoo.
45 >
46 >In the odbcinst.ini file, the line for the driver when I did this in
47 >Fedora Core was:
48 >Driver = /usr/lib/libmyodbc.so
49 >
50 >In Gentoo, there is no libmyodbc.so. There is, however, a libmyodbc3.so
51 >which is a symlink to libmyodbc3-3.51.11.so
52 >
53 >Therefore, I used /usr/lib/libmyodbc3.so as the driver.
54 >
55 >In the odbc.ini file, the proper name of the database was listed.
56 >
57 >After creating the odbcinst.ini and odbc.ini files,, I ran 'isql
58 >MySQL-home home' which was supposed to test the connectivity to the
59 >database and I got the error [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
60 >
61 >When I did a google search for the error message, I came across a
62 >post where it was asked what the output of isql -v was. I ran
63 >this on my system and got the following message:
64 >
65 >[IM010][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name too long
66 >
67 >I've posted to the UnixODBC support list, but my reason for posting here
68 >is to ask if anyone knows whether the instructions that I used to set
69 >this up should have been done differently in Gentoo. And for what it's
70 >worth, although the database was created when I used Fedora Core and
71 >then, copied into the appropriate place in Gentoo, the database works
72 >fine when I use it from within MySQL.
73 >
74 >Regards,
75 >
76 >Colleen