From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to configure two net interfaces (one static and other dynamic)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:50:21
1 On Friday, 27 August 2021 17:39:27 BST Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2021-08-27 at 16:52 +0200, pat@××××××××.org wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > Installed Gentoo into VirtualBox and I want to have two network
6 > > interfaces (on different networks with IP ranges) one with static IP and
7 > > another with IP retrieved by DHCP. Currenlty, I do have the DHCP, but
8 > > failing to setup additional static IP. Please, could someone point me to
9 > > what to do?
10 >
11 > Here's where I would start:
12 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Networking
13 >
14 > The handbook is good for more than just the installation process, I've
15 > learned over the years.
16
17 Also have a look at:
18
19 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Networking/Modular
20
21 which explains how to configure your /etc/conf.d/net file. However, most
22 helpful is the well commented netifrc example file itself:
23
24 /usr/share/doc/netifrc-0.7.3/net.example.bz2
25
26 In there you can see how to configure with a static IP or dhcp each interface
27 in turn. Copy that to your /etc/conf.d/net and edit it as you see fit. Ask
28 if you get stuck on anything specific.