From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerging glib fails to create .la files
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:08:03
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I've run into a strange problem updating my netbook.
3 > I merged glib-2.28.8 successfully as part of a Revdep-Rebuild job,
4 > it being a dep for one of the pkgs in the R-R list.
5 > However after that, merging gtk+-2.24.4 librsvg-2.34.0 libglade-2.6.4
6 > all failed with a libtool error : "libtool: link: /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.0.la
7 > is not a valid libtool archive" or ditto for libgobject ;
8 > indeed, those files do not exist in the netbook,
9 > but in my already updated desktop machine, glib did create them.
10 > The glib merge msgs did include a recommendation to remerge dbus-glib ,
11 > but that required dbus& that too failed with a similar libtool error !
12 > I tried remerging glib , but it still didn't create the needed .la files.
13 >
14 > The only item thrown up by Google was a Gentoo forum thread
15 > re a different problem, but recent& suggesting gcc needed updating
16 > or users could run into problems with Gnome-type apps.
17 > I'm presently updating to gcc-4.4.5 (previously 4.4.3),
18 > but that will take> 3 hr in the netbook, so any advice is welcome.
22 This is based on a quick read of your post. If you are just now
23 noticing that .la files are missing, you are in for a treat. They have
24 been removing .la files for quite some time now.
25
26 I would suggest running revdep-rebuild and it may take a few times. I'm
27 not sure if using a 2.2 version of portage would help on this or not.
28
29 Dale
30