From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Differences between wget and browser file retrieval?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 20:49:42
1 I'm bored, so I do a regular daily report at the DSL Reports "CanChat"
2 sub-forum, on the Covid-19 case counts for Ontario, using provincial
3 data. I download 2 files daily as source data. One of them is a PDF
4 file, which is run through "pdftotext" and then parsed by a bash script
5 (don't ask). Today, the command...
6
7 wget https://files.ontario.ca/moh-covid-19-report-en-2021-01-14.pdf
8
9 ...returns a zero-byte file. *BUT*, sticking the URL into the URL bar
10 of Pale Moon and Google Chrome (and I assume Firefox/etc) brings up the
11 PDF file just fine. Is "wget" being blocked? I have to do extra steps
12 to get from the browser-invoked PDF to get the PDF file saved to the
13 standard work area where my script expects it to be, so it can work its
14 magic and parse out the daily breakdown by PHU (Public Health Unit).
15 BTW, today's posts requiring the PDF file are...
16 https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33002718-
17 https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33002752-
18
19 I've tried setting --user-agent= with my browser's string as shown by
20 https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-is-my-user-agent but no
21 luck. Is there some way to get around this? I have not updated this
22 past week, so I don't think the problem is at my end.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications