From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Usernames in ssh attacks
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:09:57
1 On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Johan Blåbäck
4 >> <johan.bluecreek@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> I've always had usernames when it comes to sshd's log entries in
6 >>> auth.log, like the following:
7 >>>
8 >>> <time> <hostname> sshd[5926]: error: PAM: Authentication failure for
9 >>> <username> from <ip-adress>
10 >>
11 >> Well, I don't use PAM, just key-based authentication only, so I always
12 >> see only the IP getting rejected since it doesn't even give them a
13 >> place to try a user/password :) It's just weird that it is refusing a
14 >> connection from user@domain rather than simply the IP. I guess they
15 >> could be trying to ssh user@××××××.net or something. The one with
16 >> [U2FsdGVkX19g32YZVKMsQkl+mouWITILOicY4Iq9OQo=] as the username is
17 >> interesting. I wonder what that's all about.
20 > I too use only PubKey but they need to send a username so ssh knows
21 > where to look for the public key. Your two options boil down to
22 >
23 > 1) install fail2ban (I installed it on all of my external ssh boxes and
24 > I love it)
25 > 2) change the ssh port to something other than 22 (Security by Obscurity
26 > but it frees up your logs so you can see real problems).
27 >
28 > The two may me mutually exclusive as I'm not sure if you can tweak
29 > fail2ban's ssh rules to monitor another port.
30 >
31 > I just chock it up as log spam unless I see definite bad patterns. But
32 > again, with public key access only and banning root from logging in via
33 > ssh I don't think anybody is getting far unless there is a flaw in ssh.
34
35 Oh, I am not concerned about the attacks. I just thought it was weird
36 that I saw user@domain when I normally see only IP or only domain.
37 They are already refused connection as the log shows :)
38
39 Thanks,
40 Paul