From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Oddities in apache2 update, other init bizarrity.
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 03:07:48
1 Stable x86 just got a new apache server, and it's puzzling me.
2
3 For one thing, /etc/conf.d/apache2 now ends with this
4
5 # Environment variables to keep
6 # All environment variables are cleared from apache
7 # Use this to preserve some of them
8 # NOTE!!! It's very important that this contains PATH
9 # TODO: Phase this out in favor of /etc/conf.d/env_whitelist
10 #KEEPENV="PATH"
11
12 It has said all along that it's important to have PATH, but now it's
13 commented out without any replacement in env_whitelist.
14 Moreover, there's no example in env_whitelist to show the syntax. I just
15 put PATH in there on a line of its own, and hoped for the best.
16
17 The bigger puzzle is this one: I can't stop apache because it can't be
18 found, but I also can't start it because it's already running. It is in
19 fact running and serving web pages. But I'd like the init stuff to be a lot
20 more consistent.
21
22 The confusion about cupsd and vmware is a separate issue I've been meaning
23 to ask about for months; I don't think it has anything to do with apache2.
24
25 treat ~ # cd /etc/init.d
26 treat init.d # ./apache2 stop
27 * Stopping apache2 ...
28 No /usr/sbin/apache2 found running; none
29 killed.
30 [ !! ]
31 treat init.d # ./apache2 start
32 * WARNING: apache2 has already been started.
33 treat init.d # ./apache2 status
34 * Caching service dependencies ...
35 * Service 'cupsd' should be AFTER service 'vmware', but one of
36 * the services 'vmware' depends on, depends on
37 'cupsd'!
38 [ ok ]
39 * status: started
40 treat init.d #