From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU frequency tweaks
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 23:03:40
1 > Watching /proc/cpuinfo when compiling never shows the frequency reaching
2 > above
3 > 2500:
4 >
5 > cpu MHz : 2495.389
6 >
7 > cpu MHz : 2495.410
8 >
9 > cpu MHz : 2495.389
10 >
11 > cpu MHz : 2495.416
14 > I can't think this is some hardcoded BIOS limitation, otherwise how come
15 > the
16 > minimal-CD was boosting the frequency all the time to the point of
17 > shutting
18 > down the laptop. Switching governor to 'performance' as the minimal-CD
19 > has it
20 > set, or to userspace/schedutil has no effect to the maximum frequency the
21 > CPU
22 > displays.
23 >
24 > Any ideas how I can activate the boost states on this CPU, or what else I
25 > could look into to unlock its potential and speed up my emerge?
28 IIRC boost states work by boosting a single core when the other cores are
29 idle, so you wouldn't expect it to kick in on a -jN emerge. You could try
30 closing all other programs and temporarily running -j1 as an experiment to
31 see if it kicks in at all. If it doesn't work then i'd look at BIOS
32 updates. Have you included the microcode in the kernel?